An impossible dream come true
12th Jun 2014 | Categories: Land Rights
When Carlos Mareco, a leader of the Sawhoyamaxa indigenous community, heard the news that after a two decade long painful legal battle, his people will be able to return to their ancestral lands, he couldn’t help but shed a tear.
“We Indigenous People cry only when we have achieved our freedom. Today, it is like we are coming out of a prison, so many of us are crying because it is so emotional,” he said.
For years Carlos Mareco and his community lived on a precariously narrow stretch of land by a major highway.
Yesterday, Paraguay’s President, Horacio Cartes enacted a law approving the expropriation of more than 14,400 hectares of land in the Chaco region, returning the land to the Sawhoyamaxa. With the stroke of a pen, the Paraguayan State began undoing some of the wrongs suffered by the community for generations.
Read full article on Amnesty International's website.
The Territories of Life toolkit is a series of 10 short videos that share stories of resistance, resilience and hope with communities on the front-line of the global rush for land. These videos, available in English, Spanish, French, Indonesian and Swalhili and are currently being disseminated widely by community facilitators.
- LifeMosaic Resources
- COVID-19 and Indigenous Peoples
- Indigenous Education
- Self Determined Development
- Community Organising
- Women's Rights and Organising
- Land Rights
- Indigenous Languages
- Forests and Climate Change
- Livelihoods and Culture
- Mining and Oil
- Leadership and Governance
- Popular Education
- LANÇAMENTO DO FILME BRASIL : Enfrentando a Extinção, Defendendo a Vida
- Enfrentando la Extinción, Defendiendo la Vida (Español)
- Peluncuran video baru dalam Bahasa Indonesia : Menghadapi Kepunahan, Mempertahankan Kehidupan
- Panagsango iti panakapukaw, panangsalaknib iti biag (Ilocano)
- Facing Extinction, Defending Life (ENGLISH)