This video is coming soon. Join our mailing list to find out when new Territories of Life videos are released.
What is 'Vision of the Jaguar' about?
This is a story of 20 indigenous youth from the Yaigoje Apoparis reserve in the Colombian Amazon. The youth take part in a training to learn about their culture and explore how to get involved in defending their territory from a gold-mining corporation .
Length of Video
Suggestions for Discussion Questions after community screenings
- What are the benefits / concerns of the communities' youth leaving the village and moving to the cities?
- In what ways do the youth in your community take part in issues of defending territory?
- What are the barriers to youth involvement in leadership in the community and how can these be overcome?
- What is the impact of Western ideas and culture on your community?
- What can you do as a community to ensure your culture is strengthened in the face of strong outside forces?
- How do young people become adults or leaders (ceremonies, rites of passage) in the community? Are these moments of transformation still practiced?
Suggestions for Follow-up Activities after community screenings
- Set up a youth training event, or a rite of passage from youth to adulthood.
- Organise dialogues between elders and youth to understand how the wisdom of the elders and the vigour of the youth can work together to protect the territory.
- Plan what your community can do to ensure there are opportunities for the youth in the village.